Friday, July 11, 2008

I KNOW THIS TO BE TRUE

My Most Priceless Possession


 

As I contemplate on what is the most priceless possession I have that I could leave with all my children and my grandchildren and the rest of y posterity, money I have not, neither do I have any material wealth worthy of inheritance. Nevertheless, I do have something very special, sacred, and dear to me. Something money cannot buy, not even all the gold and silver of the world could purchase this priceless treasure that I would like to share with you all my beloved.

I feel like Moroni as he concluded the abridgement of his father Mormon, and in reference to some future generation said, "Behold, I speak unto you as if ye were present, and yet ye are not. But behold, Jesus Christ hath shown you unto me, and I know your doing." (Mormon 8:35) and again in Mormon 9:30, he said, "Behold, I speak unto you as though I speak from the dead; for I know that ye shall have my words." Yes indeed my words of testimony are my most priceless gift to you. In a way it is not like all the worldly gifts you have received for Christmas, and birthdays because it is not for you to keep, but to share. I hope this gift will spark within you a desire to develop your very own testimony that will sustain you in your sojourn in this confused and frustrated world.

I have not seen angels nor have I experienced mighty miracles. My testimony is not built on angels or miracles, but rather on faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and the influence of the Holy Spirit upon my mind and especially in my heart. I found that by responding to the call of duty in the kingdom of God, and learning line upon line and precept upon precept, I have gained greater knowledge and greater understanding of my relationship to my Heavenly Father and my Savior and Redeemer, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost, my true friend and comforter.

Let me assure you that Heavenly Father lives and yes, He is the most loving understanding and merciful individual. He has a plan for all his children. We are not left here alone to wander in this world of confusion without any assistance. Because of His great love for us, he has provided The Plan of Salvation, making Jesus Christ, His only Begotten Son, the central figure in this plan. We were doomed to die forever, both physically and spiritually. This was our legacy. How fortunate we are that we kept our first estate and were promised a Savior and a Redeemer. None else could qualify to perform the ultimate sacrifice of all in order that we may be loosed from the bondage of death (Moses 1:39).

I shall always be indebted and forever grateful to Jesus Christ for his atoning sacrifice, providing the way for perfection, His way is the most perfect and the only way. There is no other way but by Him and through Him that all mankind will be saved. Jesus is my hero, my friend and mentor. I love Jesus with all of my heart, might, mind and strength. I will do anything He requires of me to do. No amount of work could I ever do that will compensate for His great love for us all. He came because He wanted so much to obey His Father, and He died on the cross because He loved us immensely. He has risen, He has risen and so will we, because He has unlocked the gates of death, never to be closed again. He has bought us with his life and in return He wants us to do what He did, just follow Him. Remember the atonement of Christ is only good for those who follow and do as He does. It is not enough just to believe, we must do as He did.

There is no other book on the face of the earth that bares witness and reveals so much about the mission of Jesus Christ and His central role in Heavenly Father's plan that the companion book to the Bible – The Book of Mormon, Another Witness of Jesus Christ. I know the Book of Mormon to be the most true and correct volume of scripture ever revealed to us today. The Spirit has borne witness to me on several occasions that this is so. It is awesome to think that what we have is but one hundredth of the original record that Mormon abridged. We are promised that we will receive greater knowledge if we but read, study, and ponder the words of this book, authored by Christ Himself. The sealed portion of this volume of scripture will yet be revealed when we are faithful in keeping the teachings found therein. I cherish the teachings in this book, so clear, so simple, and so easy to comprehend. No one who denies the Book of Mormon will be worthy to stand in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ and taste of his matchless love.

The instrument that God has chosen and appointed to usher in this marvelous work and wonder is none else than the lad prophet, Joseph Smith, Jr. The most important event that ever happened in this last dispensation was the visit of God the Father and His Son, Jesus Christ to young Joseph in the spring of 1820. He was just an unlearned lad, earnestly seeking the truth promised in the scriptures (James 1:5) He was tutored by angels like Moroni, Elias, Moses, Elijah, John the Baptist, and Peter, James and John. Indeed the Holy Ghost was his constant companion. It was through Joseph that all the keys and ordinances for the salvation of men were restored. The Priesthood, the Kingdom of God, (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) is once again restored in its fullness and power never again to be taken away. Yes, it has been said of Joseph, that no man has ever done more for the salvation of men except Jesus Christ. Joseph sealed his testimony with his own blood, praised to the man who communed with Jehovah. I love you, Joseph.

I also know that our family can be forever. It is meant to be everlasting for it is of God. This principle is exhilarating and exciting to me, to be with my sweetheart Ruthy and my beloved Liana, Robert, Joel, and Jacob, for time and for all eternity. I can't see my love to your mother, my sweetheart ever ending because we died, neither is my love for you. Love has no bounds. What a romantic idea, so rewarding, so fulfilling and complete. I hope that our homes and yours will always be a place of learning, loving and worshipping. Our homes are the laboratory to life's adventure. It is here we build the prototype of our celestial abode.

I know these things to be true, just as I know that you are my children and that your children are my grandchildren and so on. I love you all so very much and I pray that the Comforter, the Testifier, the Purifier and the Sanctifier will always be our most intimate friend to teach us, to remind us to endure well to the end in Jesus Christ until we meet again in the loving arms of our Savior embracing Him and bask in His life giving light forever. This I testify to you humbly yet boldly in the name of Him who paid in ransom for all our sins, Jesus the Christ, the only Begotten Son of the Father, Amen.


 

~ 'Isileli Tupou Kongaika

2 Comments:

At July 29, 2008 at 9:28 AM , Blogger Liana Kinikini said...

Thanks Dad! What a sweet gift for my birthday! Love you

 
At August 23, 2008 at 3:01 AM , Blogger Rob said...

Malo aupito Dad! I remember receiving this letter many years ago when we were about to leave the Mission Home in Tonga. I still have a copy and cherish it as a special gift that you have given to each of us your children. Thanks for posting it online so we can now share it with others too. 'Ofa lahi atu,

Lopeti

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home